A basic reading skills assessment is a test which is conducted to determine the reading abilities of an individual. Usually, students in school are subjected to such examinations and assessments. However, these tests have also become popular in work places and admission tests of colleges and universities across the world, as reading, writing and comprehension are deemed important for the efficient transformation of instruction into application. It is also used to determine the English language skills of students from non-English speaking countries.
Sample Basic Reading Skills Assessment:
Name of test: English Language Skills for Beginners
Test conducted by: Centre for Advanced Studies in English
Date of evaluation of basic reading skills: 23rd June 2012
Name of candidate: Samantha James
- Reading: 10 out of 15
- Clarity of speech: 8 out of 15
- Comprehension: 10 out of 15
- Ability to paraphrase material read: 11 out of 15
- Aural skills: 10 out of 15
Analysis of score:
- Reading: The examinee has performed well in this section. Her reading is smooth and unaffected. Her French accent is mild and can hardly be noticed.
- Clarity of speech: The examinee takes care to pronounce each word carefully leading to clarity and understanding. However, her cadences need improvement as she often, in an effort to read fast, does not articulate certain words clearly.
- Comprehension: The examinee had performed well in this section, which can be determined from her answers to the questions posed on the passages she read.
- Paraphrasing: The examinee needs improvement on this score since her paraphrasing of the given passage was clumsy and forced.
- Aural Skills: The examinee possesses good aural skills and can improve on them by regular practice.