A nursing terminology assessment is a survey of a nurse’s acquaintance with some the key terms describing conditions of health which he or she is likely to encounter on a daily basis. Such assessments are conducted periodically to assess the standard of nurses across hospitals in the country, and care should be taken to make them relevant and challenging. It is a good way of identifying gaps and then plugging the loopholes.
The nursing terminology assessment must be comprehensive and precise at the same time so that nurses can test themselves too while taking the assessment. Such assessments are quite common, and can be designed in the form of tests or objective assessments.
Sample Nursing Terminology Assessment
Nursing terminology assessment conducted on: 12th March 2011
Nursing terminology assessment paper designed by: American Council of Nursing Staff
Name: Samantha Jacobs
Department: Cardio-vascular, Assistant Nurse in charge
Place of work: RCB Hospitals and Medical Facilities Pvt. Ltd.
Answer all questions:
- Briefly enumerate the meaning of the following terms:
- Mention how a nurse on duty can contribute significantly to the well being of the patient and to prompt action on part of the surgeon in charge by being aware of the terms and terminology that a nurse is expected to know.
- Mention if seminars and workshops are conducted by the hospital you work for in acquainting you with these terms and mention how these are needed, if not.
- Please explicate, mentioning the symptoms, the meaning of the following terms:
- Pleural Friction Rub
- On a scale of ten, how would you rate the hospital’s role in keeping nurses updated as far as nursing terminology is concerned? Mention if such assessments have been conducted earlier as well.