Since sports is very much a live genre with no takes and retakes, any kind of event or show entails a huge amount of risk on the part of the participants and the organizers. Therefore, risk assessment and management in sports is almost a mandatory norm for those responsible for the conduction of the event. Sports risk assessment is basically an equipment that aids in identifying, assessing and exploring all kinds of risk that may harm the participants or spectators during the conduction of any sporting activity. It entails a study of all kinds of safety issues like lightning, aquatics, heat illness, safety of the playground and gallery, dope testing and medical emergency action plans
Sample Sports Risk Assessment
Name of the event concerned: European Sports Tournament.
Date: May 6, 2012
Organized by: European Sports Association.
Sports risk assessment conducted by: Risk Management Committee, European Sports Association
- Electrocution of lightning in the stadium.
- Breaking out of fire at the venue.
- Possibility of stampede in case of chaos.
- Possibility of any portion of the stands to come apart injuring those below it.
- Possibility of heat or water sickness during events.
- Possibility of participant resorting to illegitimate means to enhance performance.
Medical emergency action plans:
- Arrangement of ten ambulances bearing all modern equipment that might be required as life support in case of medical emergencies.
- Presence of at least ten doctors and nurses to tend to the sick in such cases.
- Stretchers, sprays, first aid and other necessary equipment would be kept in hand in case of minor medical lapses.
Suggested risk management arrangements:
- Proper arrangement of fire safety alarms, fire extinguishers and other gears.
- Proper police and security arrangement to maintain law and order during the event.
- Arrangement of proper dope tests to check usage of unfair means that might hamper the spirit of the game.